[cairo] Cairo and GdiPlus or two win32 backends

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jan 19 06:06:13 PST 2005

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 23:20:45 +0100, Hans Breuer wrote:
> Since 2004-11-12 there is code for a GDI+ backend in cairo
> cvs but it isn't referenced anywhere (i.e. unusable)
[..]
> Also the patch available since 2004-05-30 [1] - pending since
> about half a year [3] - is updated to cleanly apply to current
> cvs. See: http://hans.breuer.org/dia/cairo-2005-01-15-hb.diff

Hi Hans,

I did have your patch sitting in my queue for a couple months. I
wasn't willing to commit it since I was not qualified to review it.

Then, at the end of July, 2004, Stuart approached me saying he was
interested in writing a win32 backend. I said, "Great! I've got this
patch here from Hans that I've been waiting for someone to review." He
looked it over that same evening and had the first version of his
patch the next morning.

It was quite some time between then and when his code got committed to
CVS, and I don't know the reasons for that delay.

But, with all of this, I thought that Stuart's worked built on yours,
so I didn't realize you were still waiting for someone to commit your
patch. (Admittedly, I hadn't read either patch. I'm still not
qualified to review win32 code).

I hope that helps explain what's been happening on my end. I'm sorry
if this episode has given you the impression that we're not accepting
of code contributions.

And to anybody, please let me know if there's more I can do to be more
communicative about things. And feel free to pester me (even
individually if you like) if I seem to have forgotten about any issue
that's important to you.