[cairo] font lifetime

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Jan 26 07:02:46 PST 2005

Around 8 o'clock on Jan 26, Owen Taylor wrote:

> One of the outstanding issues ... see my last long mail on fonts. I want
> to add a destroy notifier, but am getting resistance on the subject.

The alternative I've proposed is a function which you can call when you
are "done" with the cairo_font_t object which guarantees that the FT_face
will not be referenced again but doesn't destroy the cairo_font_t object.

I prefer this method both because it fits neatly into how I envision automatic
memory management environments and also because it avoids callbacks from
cairo with indeterminant threading liabilities.

It's clear that either will work for C usage.   It's also clear we could
do both, but I'm sure most would agree that a single method would be
preferred.

-keith