[cairo] font lifetime

Jost Boekemeier jost2345 at yahoo.de
Thu Jan 27 09:32:47 PST 2005

> The alternative I've proposed is a function which
> you can call when you are "done" with the
> cairo_font_t object

[I think this is similar to the FILE problem]

Which component could call this function?  I think in
some languages it is possible to register a procedure
with the GC, but I am not sure if that is possible in
all languages.

> I prefer this method both because it fits neatly
> into how I envision automatic memory
> management environments

I think an implementation of high-level bindings must
"know" the cairo-internal connections anyway, at least
for the cairo types the implementation intends to
proxy.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that the
high-level proxy knows when a low-level resource can
be destroyed.  What happens for example if I call the
notification function(s) only during program shutdown?

Jost