[cairo] some fixes and improvements to current cvs version of cairo

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Jan 28 11:02:44 PST 2005

Around 11 o'clock on Jan 28, Owen Taylor wrote:

> "not pretty" doesn't begin to describe that. It would be
> considerably more efficient to trap errors and just try it ... one
> roundtrip instead of two. Or just assume that the server is going
> to be OK at optimizing this case. Or, since we are already have most
> of this information when creating the surface save that and use it.

Xft has code to handle this case; it uses a temporary pixmap and CopyArea
when necessary.  It 'remembers' which drawables have issues with GetImage
being out of bounds and uses the CopyArea hack for the next twenty
rendering steps at which point it retrys the straight GetImage.  Far
better than using XGetGeometry, adding only 5% round trip overhead in the
worst case.

-keith