[cairo] Why the SVG edited by Adobe Illustrator does not work

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Jul 2 12:30:34 PDT 2005

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 19:10:35 , "jackey.yang" wrote:
> I tried to use illustrator to edit an svg 1.0 file. After I saved it, it does
> not work anymore.

Does not work anymore with libsvg-cairo?

That's not too surprising really. There are huge swaths of the SVG
specification that are not yet implemented in libsvg/libsvg-cairo.

> All i did is add some txt. It seems that adobe illustrator
> export a different format of SVG. I selected SVG 1.0 when i exported. I also
> tried 1.1 and so on, but it does not work at all. Any idea?

It's impossible to say for sure without seeing the file of course.

I have seen that some Adobe products generate SVG files using
non-standard extensions for text layout. It hides these from standard
SVG viewers by using the svg <switch> element. Currently, libsvg
doesn't have any support for the switch element and will just silently
ignore all of its contents.

That may be the problem you are running into here.