[cairo] Font options patch, first draft

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 22:14:02 PDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:59:15 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I'm not that fond of making the name of a function reflect memory
> management ... it comes across strange in language bindings.
> For copy_path(), I think "copy" makes sense because there are
> all sorts of behavior difference from what you might expect
> from a getter for the current path... we've converted back to
> user space, etc.

That sounds reasonable to me. Part of my question was aimed at
determining if "copy_path" was a bad name/interface given that you
were rejecting a similar pattern here.

I think you've satisfied me here that its behavior is different enough
to merit the different style.

> The main concerns I had were avoiding the explosion of memory management
> models and keeping things natural for language bindings.

Yes, that's the big one for me too.

It sounds like your patch has the right approach here.