[cairo] Questions and optimizations in cairo-arc

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Tue Jul 26 18:35:06 PDT 2005

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>
> But if that's what you want it would be much more intuitive to draw the
> interior arc of the oval uniquely defined by the two tangents, rather
> than a line plus the arc of the circle uniquely defined by the tangents
> *and* the radius.

Ovals are useful, but not as much as these arcs, when for example
you want to draw a rectangle with round corners, or all other
kinds of paths with round corners.  We don't want curves, but
lines with round corners, and that's what these arcs do.  But
yes, an oval thing would be useful too.  But why should you
really need an oval instead of a bezier?  A bezier with
overlapping control points is a second-order curve very much like
the oval curve that you describe.

> -jason

--behdad
http://behdad.org/