[cairo] text measuring speed

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 09:27:35 PDT 2005

On 6/11/05, Jon Smirl <jonsmirl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/05, Owen Taylor <otaylor at redhat.com> wrote:
> > How would you propose rendering to a PDF file or using native fonts
> > on Win32 without having Cairo involved in font handling?
>
> Pango would replace freetype with an equivalent for PDF/Win32 on these
> platforms?

Ok, if I understand correctly Pango has replaced freetype with an
equivalent for PDF/Win32 on these platforms. The replacement lives in
Cairo. That allows it to share the font cache with the render stage.
So pango doesn't call freetype directly any more, it instead calls
Cairo which passes the calls out to freetype/PDF/win32/etc. Right?

But pango deals with kerned strings generated by
freetype/PDF/win32/etc right? Not individual glyphs.

So back to my initial question, why does Keith care about the speed of
GetTextExt() on a single glyph if pango is deals in kerned strings?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com