[cairo] text measuring speed

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 06:20:23 PDT 2005

On 6/15/05, Bill Spitzak <spitzak at d2.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that the way FreeType does the hinting is perhaps
> desirable and Cairo should copy it.

This sounds like a really good idea to me if I understand it right.
Cairo has the same problem with thin lines disappearing as FreeType
does. Why not generate the scene as vectors, run the autohinter over
everything, including the Cario generated vectors, then rasterize it
all. The autohinter will adjust all of the line centers to pixel
boundaries just like it does for FreeType.

Wouldn't this fix the gap problem everyone is talking about too?

Does it let the app ignore pixelization and assume infinite resolution?

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com