[cairo] Using --sync and gdb to debug X protocol errors in GTK+-based programs

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Jun 22 16:27:05 PDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:19:59 +1000, Nigel Tao wrote:
> Duh, of course.  I'll try this a little later.  I've never used gdb
> properly before (having programmed mostly in Java and Python), so if
> anybody's got any hints, send them my way.  Otherwise it's me and
> Google.  :)

Here's an old post I made about how to use gdb to debug X protocol
errors in Xlib-based programs:

	http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2003-September/000467.html

With a program based on GTK+ such as svgspacewar the process is
considerably simpler:

	gdb ./svgspacewar --sync
	break gdk_x_error
	run
	backtrace

The resulting stack trace should be very interesting to us, so please
send it along.

Thanks,