[cairo] Pango + cairo

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 14 22:40:02 PST 2005

I'm trying to replace the 'toy' font code in libsvg-cairo with suitable
pango-ified bits.

I have the right text appearing on the screen, but have two unresolved
issues.

1)	How to set the 'point' size of the font so that manipulations to
	the cairo matrix will affect the glyph size.

	Right now, I set the cairo matrix up and then call
	pango_font_description_set_size, but this leaves me with a fixed
	pixel size font.  Note that layout occurs in scaled units, which
	is mystifying to me.

2)	How do I get the ascent from the layout?  I need to align the baseline
	of the text with the current point, while pango aligns the upper left
	corner of the text box with the current point.

Are these problems with the current cairo API?  Or am I just doing
something wrong?

-keith