[cairo] Re[2]: Cairographics on win32

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Mar 30 11:53:01 PST 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:16:31 -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> > packaging/msvc would be better, as it is also possible (some would say
> > preferrable, even) to build Cairo on Win32 using the normal autofoo
> > mechanism, when using GNU tools ("mingw").
>
> Has anyone actually done this? The last time(s) I tried I always failed
> horribly (and I have no inclination to install half a GB of Cygwin to
> have a "proper" Unix environment).

I did a cygwin-based compilation of cairo this last weekend, and
successfully got an X11 version of tsetse, (from cairo-demo), working
for a friend.

If there's a non-cygwin approach to this, then I don't know anything
about it.

> Instructions on the build process would be *extremely* welcome.

The steps I wanted to follow were basically:

1) Install all relevant packages from cygwin, (gcc, pkgconfig,
   automake, libtool, etc.)

2) Check out libpixman and cairo from CVS

3) Use the standard "./autogen.sh; make; make install" for libpixman
   and cairo.

But as it turns out, the current checks for XRender in cairo expect to
find an xrender.pc file, (ie. from a modular, pkg-config-aware build
of XRender). So, I had to also do:

2.5) Check out and build XRender and its dependencies from /cvs/xlibs.

This step could be avoided if someone were to add some non-pkg-config
checks for XRender to cairo's configure.in, but I'm not interested in
investing personal effort into that since I believe pkg-config is the
right approach going forward.