[cairo] SVG Spacewar

Øyvind Kolås islewind at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 06:40:09 PST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:05:35 +1000, Nigel Tao <nigel.tao at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Hello all.  I've been playing around with Cairo lately, and have made a
> little re-make of the classic Spacewar game, but with SVG-like graphics.

It would be nice to replace it with actual SVG themes for the
spaceships, to make the name match better ;)

> It's more of a proof-of-concept at this stage than a full-fledged game,
> but I think that it's quite playable.

This is a neat contribution for demoing cairo.

> but I would love to see this live in the cairo-demo module in CVS, if
> the powers that be are happy with that.

cvs up

> In particular, like all game programmers, I would like it to run as fast
> as possible, and that means employing glitz.  But how do I know if I'm
> running glitz (I downloaded the snapshot and I think it's installed, but
> my CPU seems to be rather busy)?  If I'm not, how do I switch to glitz?
> If it matters, I am running Fedora Core 3 with nVidia binary drivers.

Since you are using GtkCairo:

export GTKCAIRO_BACKEND=gl

will change which backend GtkCairo tries to initiate first.
(from http://cvs.cairographics.org/gtkcairo/README?view=auto)

> Source code released under the GPL.  Built against the cairo 0.4.0
> snapshot.

/Øyvind K.

--
Software patents hinder progress | http://swpat.ffii.org/