[cairo] API Shakeup: Eliminating cairo_show_surface

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue May 3 08:59:32 PDT 2005

On Mon, 02 May 2005 18:27:06 -0700, Bill Spitzak wrote:
> Carl Worth wrote:
>
> >    Currently, the first test passes, but the second test fails. The
> >    problem here is some confusing semantics about the timing that
> >    determines which user space to use for the user-to-pattern-space
> >    matrix within the source pattern. (I had wanted the cairo_scale
> >    call to scale the pattern, but not to scale the offset passed to
> >    cairo_set_source_surface).
>
> Maybe cairo_paint() should take the x,y arguments instead?

The offset is needed when using cairo_set_source_surface to set up a
pattern for fills and strokes as well.

The most general mechanism for all of this is to create a pattern for
the surface and set a matrix on that pattern. The cairo_set_source_surface
call is just a convenience to create an implicit pattern and to
provide the most commonly used portion of the matrix, the translation.

And it's the general case that still suffers from confusing lock
semantics. So, that's a bigger issue than the current patch.

I've gone ahead and committed this patch now.