Testing output from each backend (was: [cairo] State of Win32 backend?)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed May 4 06:18:47 PDT 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005 11:33:39 +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
> Cairo HEAD has for some time not built on Win32. The below makes it
> build, but I can't really say whether this is correct or not.

Tor,

Thanks for looking into this.

I can't really comment too much on the correctness of this patch
myself.

One thing that would help those people who want to work on the win32
(or almost any other backend) is to tweak the test suite so that it
will test these backends. I've done most of the work to make the test
suite test multiple backends. All that is still needed is to fill out
the following stubs in cairo/test/cairo-test.c:

	#ifdef CAIRO_HAS_FOO_SURFACE
	static cairo_test_status_t
	set_foo_target (cairo_t *cr, int width, int height, void **closure)
	{
	#error Not yet implemented
	}

	static void
	cleanup_foo_target (void *closure)
	{
	#error Not yet implemented
	}
	#endif

Basically these functions just need to create the necessary resources
and call cairo_set_target_foo, and then cleanup afterward. The
existing functions for the image and xlib backends should provide good
models.

We could use this for the glitz, quartz, win32, and xcb backends right
away. It will be nice to get to the point where we trust pixel-
accurate consistency among the various backends.

And, when the meta-surface stuff lands, we'll be able to do some
similar testing of the meta-surface-to-raster paths as well. (And it
might even make sense to do a little poppler integration in the test
suite to pull off some automated testing of the PDF backend.)

We will need testing help from the maintainers of each of the various
backends. I don't know of any individual that is maintaining the
multiple platforms necessary to test all of the backends
simultaneously, (I certainly am not).