[cairo] Text scaling and hinting

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed May 4 18:14:17 PDT 2005

On Thu, 05 May 2005 10:00:28 +1200, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> I think I can work around the current Cairo API. String drawing would
> fix all the glyph positions based on a cairo_scaled_font_t chosen to be
> the definitive metrics for the font, and then call cairo_show_glyphs.

If I'm understanding you correctly, that sounds like it's exactly the
recommended way of using the API.

I am reminded that we don't yet have any documentation yet that
explains that cairo_show_text is just a "toy API" intended for demos
and the like, but not for serious applications.

> But I'd certainly prefer to delegate the problem to Cairo, since this
> solution might be suboptimal in output quality and performance.

What specifically would you like to see different in the API?

> A related question: I'm guessing that cairo_set_font_size is just
> shorthand for cairo_set_font_matrix (i.e., it's not cumulative with
> cairo_set_font_matrix, and only a font matrix is stored internally). Am
> I right? It's not clear from cairo.h.

Yes, that's correct.

The documentation lives in cairo.c rather than cairo.h, and can be
found on cairographics.org/manual:

http://cairographics.org/manual/cairo-cairo-t.html#cairo-set-font-size