[cairo] Spelling cairo properly

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu May 5 06:59:50 PDT 2005

I don't think I've come out and said it on the list before, but now
that I've seen a fair number of external references get this wrong, I
decided to make a point of it:

	The graphics library known as cairo is properly spelled with a
	lowercase 'c'. For example:

		The cairo graphics library is fun to use.

	Of course, if the word cairo begins a sentence, it should be
	capitalized as with most any other word. For example:

		Cairo makes it harder to draw ugly graphics.
		Cairo is fun.

For the curious, the rationale for this is to achieve some nice
symmetry in the shape of the word "cairo" itself[*], and to make the
name of our favorite graphics library somewhat distinct from that of a
certain city which is always spelled as Cairo.

-Carl

[*] I recently redesigned the cairo banner at:

	http://cairographics.org

to emphasize the symmetry. The new version has an 'a' and 'r' with
curves of similar length. I'd still like to tweak the 'c' and 'o' so
that their curvature matched more precisely, (though I don't want to
disturb the pleasing way the faces of the strokes of the 'c' and the
'a' match at the top). And if anyone can draw a decent dot for the top
of the 'i', I would appreciate it, (I couldn't seem to get the size
and position to look just right). Keith suggests that maybe we should
use the scarab for the dot of the 'i'.