[cairo] Should libgdiplus work with cairo-0.4? config looks for 0.3only.

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu May 5 13:26:31 PDT 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005 14:07:51 -0600, "Peter Dennis Bartok" wrote:
> >Before I file a bug with the libgdiplus maintainers, is it accurate to
> >characterize cairo-0.4.x as a '0.3-compatible cleanup' release while the
> >API was reworked for cairo-1.0? Should applications like libgdiplus and
> >SVG-enabled mozilla build as well with cairo-0.4 as they do with cairo-0.3?


> We have a drop of 0.3.0 cairo as part of the libgdiplus sources and cairo is 
> being statically linked into libgdiplus. Don't try to use an external 
> version. One day after 0.3.0 was released, the cvs version already wasn't 
> compatible with 0.3.0 anymore, particularily some of the font things that 
> changed broke us.

That's accurate. If 0.4 had been compatible, we would have named it
0.3.1 instead.

> We're waiting for the API stable version to come out before we attempt to 
> move libgdiplus to a newer version of cairo.

We're working on an imminent 0.5 release now. From there, we have
several API additions planned, so we will quite likely have things
like 0.5.1, 0.5.2, etc. And we don't have current plans for more API
breakage between 0.5 and 1.0, but we also don't have any guarantees
that we won't dream up things we need to change and have 0.6, 0.7,

So each project should do as they see fit. But I would encourage as
many as can to move to 0.5 when it appears, (so that we can be sure
the API is solid before 1.0).


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/attachments/20050505/d5637add/attachment.pgp

More information about the cairo mailing list