[cairo] Cairo for Python cross-platform dynamic 2D graphics

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue May 10 13:14:11 PDT 2005

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:32:21 +0200, Andre Meyer wrote:
> Cairo seems to fulfill my wishlist with respect to dynamic 2D graphics
> using Python. What I need is a 2D API comparable to Java2D which
> features dynamic graphics (ie. programmable behaviour of 2D primitives)
> with transparency, antialiasing, splines, etc.
>
> Cairo seems to fit the bill, but now I wonder whether I can use it to
> draw graphics that include real-time behaviour.

Hi Andre,

I hope that you will take the chance to play with cairo, and I hope
you'll find it suitable for the things you want to do.

We definitely anticipate cairo being used in dynamic applications with
animated graphics. I won't claim that cairo currently exhibits all the
performance you will want. But, with the API work wrapping up now,
performance is now becoming one of the last remaining issues in
preparation for the upcoming cairo 1.0 release. So I expect to see a
lot of performance work for cairo over the next month or two.

> The other issue is that I need to program in Python on both Linux
> (Fedora) and Windows. Does Cairo run on Windows? The recent press
> release of Mozilla that announces them using Cairo for cross-platform
> graphics seems that this would be possible. However, I cannot find a
> Windows package for download.

As of the cairo 0.4.0 snapshot, cairo does include a working win32
backend. I'm not aware of anyone having packaged up a win32 binary,
but we could probably host something for distribution if people would
find that useful and someone would be willing to produce it.