[cairo] Cleaning up the PDF API

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon May 16 18:02:11 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 19:36 -0400, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:

> Even though the cairo_surface_finish() operation is synchronous, and we
> know that the closure data will no longer be needed after
> cairo_surface_finish() completes, the code that calls
> cairo_surface_finish() may not know how to destroy the closure data.
> Maybe that part of the code doesn't even know what type of surface it's
> dealing with.

Then this problem naturally extends to all cairo functions dealing with
document structure, including cairo_show_page.  We're trying to leave
that kind of non-drawing operation to the application and provide only
minimal support in cairo.

I suggest that providing information about the asynchronous destroy
operation is sufficient and clearly delineates the separation of
responsibility between cairo and the application.

-keith