[cairo] cairo install on linuxK26125 pc-machne

Jeff Smith whydoubt at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 6 12:51:18 PST 2005

--- lux-integ <lux-integ at btconnect.com> wrote:
> I am new to this list.  I am having difficulty  installing cairo.   The
> machine is a PC-machine and runs the program Linux.  kernel version-2.6.12.5.
>
> For cairo,  I tried versions 1.00, 1.02 and the current offering in the CVS
> tree.   The results of my efforts are in the attached file.  Help/suggestions
> would be gratefully received.

I think you have two inter-related problems.

One problem may be that you have a broken $PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  It should include directory
names only (no files names), and the directories specified aught to be ones that contain
.pc files (e.g. /opt/lib/pkgconfig).  I suspect that most of the pkg-config files it
cannot find are in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.  This directory is usually searched by default
(i.e. even if it is not in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH).

The second problem is setting --with-PACKAGE, which probably caused the default
pkg-config  directory to be ignored if favor of your broken $PKG_CONFIG_PATH.  Setting
--without-PACKAGE caused the default pkg-config directory to be ignored, period.

I see two possible solutions:
  1.
    a. Set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /opt/lib/pkgconfig
    b. Don't use --with-PACKAGE or --without-PACKAGE for the configure call.
  2.
    a. Set your PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/lib/pkgconfig
    b. Use --with-PACKAGE=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH for the configure call.

Note 1: Don't mess with PNG_LIBS, FONTCONFIG_LIBS, FREETYPE_LIBS in the configure call.
Even if these libraries were in unusual places (which they are not), the way to specify
this should be with configure options such as --with-libpng.

Note 2: a lot of the configure options you specify are unnecessary, but they should not
hurt anything either.

 -- Jeff Smith