[cairo] cairo_win32_surface_create api change

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 09:04:39 PST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 17:10 -0800, Stuart Parmenter wrote:
> I would like to change the cairo_win32_surface_create to take a width
> and height so that get_extents can function properly.  All of the
> other surface creation functions take widths and heights.  We need to
> do this to pass all the tests on Windows, specifically self-copy and
> trap-clip.
>
> Carl brought up the issue of compatibility, but leaving the old API
> there leaves us with pretty broken clipping on Windows.  This change
> should be trivial for callers to fix and I don't know of any Windows
> apps that actually use/ship with cairo at this point.
>
> We could leave the old API in and bandaid aorund it, but that seems
> like a bad solution long term as it will only lead to people seeing
> different strange problems later on and not being able to explain
> them.

I'd really like to see more explanation as to why you think this
change is necessary. Quite a few things were set up so that the
width/height *are not* necessary. Especially for trap-clip, if that's
not working, it's probably just an implementation bug somewhere.

The only justification for an incompatible change would be if major
parts of the API simply don't work with the old change. And that seems
unlikely since we have GTK+ running quite well on top of Cairo on
Windows.

Regards,
						Owen