[cairo] Patch: fix subpixel BGR/vRGB rendering

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Oct 5 11:05:55 PDT 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:11:18 +0200, Frederic Crozat wrote:
> Hmm, since glyph cache rewrite has not landed on 1.0 branch and I'm not
> sure it will go to 1.0.x, I've still think subpixel BGR/vRGB should be
> handled correctly in 1.0.x.

Yes, the plan has been to not land the glyph cache rewrite on the 1.0
branch.

> I've update my initial patch following David Turner comments on cairo
> wrong usage of freetype flags. Code is almost doing the same thing as
> Xft, except for hinting == light with subpixel. Currently, since
> subpixel is handled by cairo, we can't use light hinting with LCD
> render, so I've changed the logic to only set light hinting when LCD
> rendering is not used.
>
> Patch has been done for 1.0 branch.

I'm sorry I missed this for 1.0.2. I don't have a lot of experience
with the affected code here, (nor other experience with Xft code or
direct use of freetype). So it would be nice to get some review from
others.

And independently, something else that would help here would be a
failing test case for cairo/test that this patch fixes. That kind of
thing always makes it much easier for me to accept a patch.