[cairo] Patch: speeding up _cairo_fixed_from_double

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Oct 5 14:35:50 PDT 2005

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:20:32 -0400, David Reveman wrote:
> I'd like to use the gradient code in libpixman/xserver instead. I think
> that that code is already a lot faster than the gradient code in cairo
> as it's using color spans but I think it's also using color spans when
> it shouldn't which we'll have to fix.
>
> We should throw away my old gradient code in cairo. I never tried to
> make it really fast but for not containing any code for special cases
> that are easy to optimize, it's not that bad.

Oh, throwing away code is almost always the best solution.

I didn't know or had forgotten that we have gradient code just sitting
here in pixman already. It's good you mentioned this before I
reinvented something similar.

Do you have a patch for cairo to use this, or some guidance in
implementing it? (I know that you offered a patch that extends cairo's
repeat modes which I haven't yet looked at closely enough, but I
didn't see a switch to changing the gradient code there when I just
looked).

And what are the "using color spans when it shouldn't" problems that
need to be fixed?