[cairo] Pure Cairo UI ?

Vladimir Vukicevic vladimirv at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 03:35:48 PDT 2005

On 10/17/05, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 21:36 -0700, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> > AFAIK, this is actually a common misconception; GTK 2.8 allows you to
> > draw using cairo (lets you get at a cairo_t/cairo surface), but
> > doesn't do all drawing through cairo.  Core gdk drawing still occurs
> > using native X calls.
>
> It depends on what you mean. Gtk+ clearly still support all the old gdk
> calls which use old-style X drawing. However, most drawing actually done
> by Gtk+ is through the GtkStyle drawing operations, and many of these
> (at least for the default theme) are implemented using cairo.

True; I wasn't thinking of GtkStyle and the dependency on the theme in
use.  What I mainly meant was that Gtk doesn't quite fit the bill
(yet) for what the original poster was looking for, since Gtk still
supports drawing through a non-cairo path.

Speaking of GtkStyle.. it's really too bad there's no way to hand
GtkStyle a cairo_t to draw with (with some transformation matrix
already set), instead of having all the functions create their own
cairo_t from the GdkWindow.

    - Vlad