[cairo] Cairo, XRender, OpenGL, Glitz, confusion

Bill Spitzak spitzak at d2.com
Tue Sep 27 09:38:53 PDT 2005

Pressebüro Martin Möller wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to understand how all these elements: cairo, glitz, xrender,
> opengl work together or depend on each other:
>
>>From a little reading, I understand it like this:
>
> Cairo is based on Glitz which is based on OpenGL which uses Xrender for
> talking to the graphics hardware.
>
> I this correct? I need a little clarification! :-D
> Thanks!

I think it is more like this:

Cairo ---> Glitz ---> OpenGL ---> Hardware

Ie Cairo can either use OpenGL or Xrender to draw on the hardware. This
is decided by the type of cairo_surface that is created.

The fact that Glitz is in the diagram is kind of arbitrary. Some
functions that are called are in a library called Glitz. Trying to draw
diagrams like this though you can always add more things to each arrow.
You could break it down into individual procedure calls, in which case
this line could be very long with many words in it.