[cairo] Cairo status update (new PostScript stuff and more)

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Thu Apr 6 17:23:19 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 16:14 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 15:36 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
>
> > There are two things I will be doing as soon as possible to make it
> > easier for people to test things. First, I'll be setting up a git2cvs
> > bridge. This will allow people to use things like jhbuild (which talks
> > CVS but doesn't talk git) to be able to build/test cairo. Second, I'll
> > be posting regular snapshots throughout the remainder of the 1.2
> > development cycle.
>
> I'd like to suggest that instead of CVS kludges, we provide regular
> tarball snapshots of the appropriate branches. This is well supported by
> jhbuild, reduces the load on the fd.o servers and eliminates the scary
> git2cvs program entirely. With the built-in tar support that git
> provides, this is quite efficient, and could even be done after every
> upload if that's what you want.

A CVS mirror is going to be a lot more workable for someone trying to
hack on Windows; the ability to update and merge in changes is pretty
important.

Maybe git isn't that hard to get going on Windows ... I haven't
investigated.

Also, tarball support in jhbuild is very different from CVS support ...
I remember being somewhat unhappy trying to use it before for something
that was continually being updated.

On the other hand, if snapshot tarballs mean more time is spent hacking
cairo and less git2cvs, that's all for the better.

					Owen