[cairo] User font feature

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at cs.toronto.edu
Sun Apr 9 22:16:05 PDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Keith Packard wrote:

> > If you need anything other than a toy api, you need this, for
> > kerning, for ligatures, for non-Latin shaping, and a lot more.
>
> No, cairo doesn't do shaping. Shaping is done by higher-level libraries.
> We might even insist that these fonts not have a unicode->glyph
> conversion function, but that may be going too far.

Maybe I was not clear.  A user-font *is* this higher-level
library.  I'm saying that cairo should take a text-to-glyph
callback instead of unicode-to-glyph, such that the user-font can
do kerning, ligatures, etc.  Of course that function will only be
used with the toy API.

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"