[cairo] Proposing cairo_set_scaled_font

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Apr 12 21:36:37 PDT 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:46:17 -0500 (EST), Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> I would like to propose adding the function
> cairo_set_scaled_font.  This will set_font_face, set_font_matrix,
> and set_font_options on the cairo_t from the cairo_scaled_font_t.

This looks pretty good to me. Once upon a time there was a proposal
for a cairo_set_scaled_font that also did a cairo_set_matrix to match
the CTM of the scaled font. I didn't like that, but I think I can
accept this one.

As noted in the documentation, this call is really only useful if the
CTM does match the CTM of the scaled font. It's probably worth
specifically pointing out cairo_scaled_font_get_ctm in the
documentation here so that the user can have an easier time ensuring
that things are kosher as far as that goes.

>        While that does the job, it's much cleaner and more
> intuitive to be able to set an scaled_font directly on the
> cairo_t.

I buy that. It's important that cairo be easy to use.

> Patch attached.  The patch also includes the fix for bitmap fonts
> crash.

Oops. That part has been applied separately before. But it should be a
simple matter to re-spin this without.