[cairo] Profiling the slowness of xlib surface

Timothée Lecomte timothee.lecomte at ens.fr
Thu Apr 20 11:11:47 PDT 2006

Thank you for your quick and clear answer.

This is a bad news for me ... Apart from the rendering artefacts in
CAIRO_OPERATOR_SATURATE with xlib surfaces, I was expecting it to be
faster.

Regarding my problem with seams, SATURATE is the best solution, but it
implies using a termporary surface. Other solutions are not satisying, as
far as I can tell (see previous threads about seams). So I guess I will to
forget about xlib surfaces.

Anyway is it normal to see so much time spent in these copy from main
memory and video memory ?

In my case, for each 'plot', I have :
* one pixmap for the main context
* two temporary surfaces created for two different sets of adjacent
polygons, each of them used once only

So, that make roughly a dozens of copy between main and video memory. Is
it normal for these calls to be so slow that the whole rendering (~1000
polygons to each temporary surfaces, several lines and text paths to the
main surface) takes hundreds of milliseconds ?

> Render calls are done in software through pixman on the server side,
> so for every operation the data needs to be read back into main
> memory, operated on, and then put back into video memory.

Can this mean that each time I call cairo_fill(), for example, the server
copies the pixmap to main memory to render through pixman and then copies
it back to video memory ? In that case, that would make thousands of
copies back and forth for the whole rendering. I hope I am wrong !

Timothée