[cairo] cairo snapshot 1.1.2 now available for testing

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 07:49:15 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:59:58 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> There is still no way to do per-page paper size and orientation in the
> ps/pdf backends.

Good point. That belongs on the short list. Have any API proposal for
this?

I'm wondering whether it makes more sense to follow the model of
cairo_show_page or cairo_{ps,pdf}_surface_set_dpi for stuff like this.

At the same time, I'd also like to add per-document metadata. This
should be even easier as cairo only has to pass things through---most
settings won't affect rendering at all. A while ago I sketched out
something that ended up with a cairo_surface_set_document_properties
call:

	http://live.gnome.org/GtkTeamPrintingBreakout

I'll revisit that, look a little deeper into what I actually want, and
come back with a more solid proposal. (Or someone else could jump in
here---I'm always glad to have help on cairo.)

> Also, have you added the internal support needed for backends requiring
> BeginPage functionality?

Yes, this is in place now. At least, it's there for any users of the
paginated_surface. That interface (_cairo_paginated_surface_create),
accepts a function pointer table with a start_page callback.

I know that when using cairo to print to win32 thingy that it would be
helpful to have start_page notification. Meanwhile, we don't have
separate cairo_win32_surface_create for printing vs. non-printing
surfaces. Can the win32 backend easily detect this? If so, we may very
well want it to return a paginated surface for the printing case and a
straight win32 surface otherwise.

If the win32 maintainers want some help on doing this, the
test-paginated-surface.c file should make a pretty good introduction
to what it takes to use that. And I'm glad to offer pointers as well.