[cairo] Re: cairo Digest, Vol 9, Issue 32

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Apr 26 08:07:48 PDT 2006

rush ta wrote:
> TO print a PDF/PS file we need a postscript printer..
> But for the common inkjet printers,PCL language is used..
> I am using Cairo to produce PDF/PS on PXA/ARM arch ....
> Can Cairo take care of the conversion to PCL..
> OR do I have to use anything else..

You'll probably get the best results by creating an image surface and
then converting that to PCL yourself.  That said, PCL isn't a single
language - you can do some very basic things to support printing on
a wide range of devices, but getting full quality from HP inkjet
printers requires the use of device-specific PCL commands and a lot
of hard work.

HP's LIP (formerly IJS) project uses their APDK (Appliance Printing
Development Kit) driver framework to support high-quality (often photo
quality) printing to most of their inkjet and laser printers, and
APDK is designed to be easily embedded...

Here is their developer site:

     http://new.hpdevelopersolutions.com/SPP/