[cairo] freetype backend: ignore global advace if required

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 10:22:38 PDT 2006

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:42:29 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:

> Given that few applications need monospaced characters, it's arguably
> better to ignore global advance by default and expect that applications
> will be able to manage varible pitch text correctly.

I'm reading this (old) thread and trying to figure out the best course
of action on this.

This is an area about which I know basically nothing, so I'm looking
for expert opinions, (but the situation appears to be complex enough
that things aren't even obvious to the experts).

Anyway, Keith, can you explain your statement above in more detail?
Are you saying that the original patch[*] looks basically good, and
just that it should be changed to set the
FT_LOAD_IGNORE_GLOBAL_ADVANCE_WIDTH flag if the FC_GLOBAL_ADVANCE
property is not found in the pattern?

If so, I can manage that much of a change myself. If not, could you
describe or provide an alternate patch?

Thanks,

-Carl

[*] If not readily available in your mail client, the original patch
came in the following message:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2005-August/004893.html

Once again, our favorite archive pipermail makes the patch hard to get
at there by considering it non-text. (Or maybe that's an MUA
problem---either way, it's annoying.)