[cairo] mailing lists

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Apr 26 12:28:21 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:53:22 -0600, "chris nuernberger" wrote:
> Subversion's mailing list setup uses one program for the mailing list
> (I think it is mailman) and then uses another system for archiving.

We also have mailman doing the mail and it plugs into an external
thing for archiving (currently pipermail). And that's architected to
be able to switch to other archivers easily.

> http://svn.haxx.se/

I don't know what archiver that's using, but it's got the same bug
that drives me crazy with pipermail. Namely, threads are all broken at
each month boundary. For example, look at the current month's
archives:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-04/

and notice that the first post is obviously a reply to an earlier
message:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2006-04/0000.shtml

The archiver provides links to children in the thread within the
current month, but no links to parents in any previous month. That's
so ridiculously broken.

> The beauty of the subversion system is that their archives are indexed
> by google, I guess because the hypermail archiving system is
> google-indexable.  So finding mails and patches and such isn't such a
> problem.

The cairo lists are also indexed by google, which is extremely
convenient. I even put a google-based search field on our list archive
pages, for example:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/

The problem comes after finding a message through google. Then one
would like to be able to find context for the message, but the awful
thread breaking makes that really hard.

This does not seem like a hard problem to solve correctly---I'm sure
someone must have done it already, (and likely as a mailman compatible
archiver). Though, if someone has, I can't imagine what excuse mailman
would have for shipping with such a broken archiver by default.