[cairo] Updated ROADMAP for cairo 1.2.0 (and beyond)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Apr 26 21:32:39 PDT 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:12:59 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:

> > As far as the Mozilla targets go, we're going to need improved
> > performance well before December of 2006.  We could probably take
> > performance fixes up until around then, but we'll need to be relative
> > confident in our final performance state by the fall.
>
> Thanks, that's good for me to know. That's exactly the kind of thing I
> wanted to get from this.

The 1.2 release we're working on now is designed to be in time for the
next GNOME release. And that's on a 6 month timed-release cycle.

So maybe we should start doing cairo on a 6-month, timed-release cycle
as well. That would put the next one in October 2006. Does that seem
safe enough for Firefox?

Looking at 1.0 to 1.2 it has definitely taken us longer than 6 months,
but I'm optimistic that we can do this. Also, I'm being more careful
about setting these dates up front, with input, rather than just
randomly picking a date myself. This should both help us to be more
rigid about the date not slipping, and help us to keep track of how
things are progressing as we go along, (and ask for help/re-adjust as
needed).

I know that the GTK+ project has found a 6-month cycle to be too short
for some of the bigger ideas they've wanted to do. But maybe we can
take advantage of the fact that the cairo code base is only a little
over one tenth the size of the GTK+ code to be able to release in two
thirds the time. Heck, I guess that means we could be 5 times as lazy
as those guys and still pull this off.