[cairo] PyCairo SVG/PDF support on Windows?

Steven Chaplin stevech1097 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 3 19:41:55 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 08:47 -0700, Carl Worth wrote:
> I looked into this a bit and apparently pycairo includes a "cairo.svg"
> module that requires libsvg-cairo.
>
> That's not a good situation for two reasons:
>
> 1) Pycairo should really bind only the functionality of cairo. Cairo
>    itself does not include SVG parsing, so pycairo shouldn't include
>    a cairo.svg module that adds that.
>
> 2) The libsvg-cairo library is totally unmaintained.

I agree cairo.svg should not be in pycairo, I've wanted to get rid of it
for a while because it causes more problems that its worth. I removed it
today.
There's another module which should not be in pycairo also - cairo.gtk -
that needs to be removed eventually too.

> So instead, librsvg exists which is a library that supports much more
> of the SVG specification than libsvg-cairo did, (which originally was
> forked from a much older version of librsvg). And recent versions of
> librsvg also render through cairo.
>
> I'm also told that python bindings for librsvg exist. This is good and
> as it should be: separate bindings for separate libraries.
>
> Of course, the python bindings for librsvg and for cairo should be
> made to work smoothly together. I don't know if that's the case
> currently, but I hope so.

I added a pycairo FAQ to summarise the SVG situation:
    http://www.cairographics.org/PycairoFAQ

Steve