[cairo] [cairo-announce] cairo release 1.2.2 now available

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Aug 9 09:46:08 PDT 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:27:08 +0300, Tor Lillqvist wrote:

> CAIRO_BACKEND_ENABLE(svg, SVG, svg, SVG_SURFACE, auto, [], [
>   if test x"$have_ft_load_sfnt_table" != "xyes" ; then
>
> Note there is an empty string [] passed as the sixth parameter, and
> then a shell command sequence passed as seventh parameter. Presumably
> that command sequence is supposed to be the $6, as described in the
> doc for CAIRO_BACKEND_ENABLE.

The documentation is confused. It lists 6 arguments and then provides
descriptions for 7 arguments. The implementation of the macro is
entirely opaque to me. Clearly the language choice of m4 does not lead
to the most readable code... (but I won't propose changing build
systems again... I didn't make it very far the last time I suggested that).

So, sorry about all the bugs in the configure script, (it also tripped
up packagers who would like to build cairo's xlib backend without
requiring libXt).

> Is it possible to build cairo for Win32 with pdf but without freetype
> only using some other build mechanism than the configure script?

It's supposed to be possible with the configure script. That's the
only "supported" way that ships with cairo. (I think Vlad recently
hinted he might start including some build scripts for some other
environment on Windows, but that hasn't happened yet.)

The fact that the configure script isn't working on win32 just shows
that we didn't get enough testing before the release. I'm open to
ideas about how to fix that. One thing I had wanted to do was to get a
tar file snapshot out about a week in advance---but we just weren't
able to do that this time around.

Otherwise, if people would like to see things fixed just before
releases instead of just after the releases, we would love to have
more people testing things and reporting issues. If it's just a matter
of making it more clean when a release is imminent, then I can
definitely start making more noise about that on the mailing list.

Again, any other suggestions on improving pre-release testing would be
welcome. (There's obviously the possibility of setting up some
automated systems, if someone has the resources for something like
that.)