[cairo] Build problems under Win32/Mingw and Mac OS X 10.3

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Aug 11 14:54:08 PDT 2006

On 11 Aug 2006 23:33:09 +0200, "Tim Teulings" wrote:

> configure does not detect quartz by default. I have to call it with
>
> --enable-quartz --enable-atsui.
>
> Is this possibly intentional?

That is definitely not intentional. It tries to auto-detect the
presence of quartz and atsui. If you could look into config.log and
provide information as to why the check is failing on your system,
that would be useful.

>    Xlib:          yes
>    Xlib Xrender:  no (requires Xrender http://freedesktop.org/Software/xlibs)

Hmm... the above looks like the configure script has gotten more
fine-grained than the implementation. It's detecting xlib but not
xlib-xrender, but I think building xlib still requires xrender.

BTW, Behdad, I really wouldn't care, (and I might even prefer), if the
above output said "xlib" rather than "Xlib" and "xlib-xrender" instead
of "Xlib Xrender". If these lines of output are the only thing causing
some of the argument bloat in CAIRO_BACKEND_ENABLE then let's drop
that.

> cairo-xlib-surface.c: In function `_CAIRO_FORMAT_TO_XRENDER_FORMAT':
> cairo-xlib-surface.c:196: error: `PictStandardA1' undeclared (first
> use

That looks indicative of missing Xrender header files, (which is
expected given the configure output quoted above).

So if someone wanted to make the xlib backend build without requiring
Xrender, they could do that work. (It's not really that interesting
since cairo really doesn't perform well without Xrender). But in the
meantime I think the xlib backend should be disabled if Xrender is not
present at build time.

> After that I disabled xlib support and recompiled cairo (after a make
> clean).
>
> The build in this cases fails again:
>
> cairo-quartz-surface.c: In function
> `_cairo_quartz_surface_acquire_source_image':
> cairo-quartz-surface.c:58: error: implicit declaration of function
> `CGBitmapContextGetBitmapInfo'

I don't have any idea about this one. Hopefully someone with some
quartz experience could comment on whether that's some optional piece
that could be installed, or if our current quartz code has some
version dependency on Quartz itself that the configure script isn't
checking for.