[cairo] Updated bibliography for cairo

Carl Worth cworth at redhat.com
Mon Dec 4 14:23:24 PST 2006

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 04:57:55 -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> You do know that it isn't actually in place? - the old one is called,
> following more normal wiki conventions:
>
>   http://cairographics.org/bibliography

Yes, the old content is still available at that URL.

I could do some URL rewrite or something there.

> (I think that there is a benefit to allowing edits without git
> commit access, but well, whatever works for you)

Yes, I agree. But also notice for how long that bibliography has been
entirely static, (a bit hard to examine that since I accidentally
removed most of the history-browsing features of our wiki in an
over-zealous attempt to de-clutter it at one point. Anyone want to
tell me the syntax for restoring that?). Meanwhile, I've already
accepted two external edits to the new one.

But I also like the convenience of being able to maintain some of the
wiki content as plain-text files maintained along with the source
code.

One of the things that's coming online soon is "submodule support" for
git. One maybe-not-too-crazy idea would be to have a git-backed wiki
for cairo, and then to include some of those files as a module that
comes along with the git source. Maybe with some mechanism for
requiring review before those changes go through, and obviously with
some protection such as putting them in a directory which the
Makefiles never descend into.

Anyway, that's one idea for allowing both interfaces and eliminating
the annoyance of duplicated content.