[cairo] Patch for cairo - high resolution images in PDF surface.

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Dec 5 11:36:53 PST 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:30:12 +0100,  wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 07:34, Andrew McRae wrote:
> > The cairo device unit for PDF being a point is a
> > little arbitrary (that's
> > my point, if you get what I mean), in that currently there's
> > no way to represent images in PDF in any better resolution
> > than 72 DPI (if there is, please outline it to me).
> Anyhow, fallback_resolution has NO EFFECT on image inclusion because it is a
> native PDF operation, just try and set the fallback res to 30 or less : no
> difference.

I'm afraid I'm not sure I'm understanding the situation here fully. If
people think they are hitting a bug in the resolution of images being
put into PDF images, can we please have a trivial little test case?
Ideally that would be something that fits into cairo's test suite. For
example, an easy way to construct the test case might be to just copy
and modify cairo/test/source-surface-scale-paint.c to demonstrate the
bug.

> You just have to scale down... And you get what you want, except for a little
> bug in the PDF backend that will tile your image over the surface even with
> CAIRO_EXTEND_NONE, but that's another story.

Oh, my. I wasn't aware of that bug. Would you be willing to provide a
test case for that as well?

I won't even bother asking if there's a bugzilla entry open for this,
since I don't really care about that. For rendering bugs, by far the
best thing is if we can have a test case in the test suite that
demonstrates the failure.