[cairo] Problem compiling Cairo..doesn't detect fontconfig/freetype installation

Divick Kishore divick.kishore at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 02:48:31 PST 2006

Hi,
    please help me compiling and installing Cairo on a Linux machine. When I
do a do ./configure --prefix=/home/myhome ...it exits with the folling
message:

configure: WARNING: Could not find libpng in the pkg-config search path
checking whether cairo's PNG backend could be enabled... no
configure: error: requested PNG backend could not be enabled

I also tried with

./configure --prefix=/home/myhome --disable-png

but it still complains

configure: error: Cairo requires at least one font backend.
                  Please install freetype and fontconfig, then try again:
                  http://freetype.org/  http://fontconfig.org/

I don't have admin / install privileges and thus I am trying to install it
in my home folder with the --prefix command line argument to configure. I
also compiled and installed both libpng and freetype and fontconfig in my
home directory and did set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /home/myhome/lib and
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
to /home/myhome/lib/pkgconfig but it's of no use.

Please help me with compilation of Cairo.

Thanks a ton,
Divick