[cairo] Problem compiling Cairo..doesn't detect fontconfig/freetype installation

David Turner david at freetype.org
Fri Dec 22 01:29:41 PST 2006

Hello Divick,

> but it still complains
>
> configure: error: Cairo requires at least one font backend.
>                   Please install freetype and fontconfig, then try again:
>                   http://freetype.org/  http://fontconfig.org/
>
> I don't have admin / install privileges and thus I am trying to install
> it in my home folder with the --prefix command line argument to configure. I
> also compiled and installed both libpng and freetype and fontconfig in my
> home directory and did set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /home/myhome/lib and
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /home/myhome/lib/pkgconfig but it's of no use.

to avoid any problems, be sure that the /home/myhome/lib path is in front of your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Do the same for /home/myhome/lib/pkgconfig and PKG_CONFIG_PATH.
Also, put /home/myhome/bin in your PATH as well.

Finally, be certain to export these variables.

You need to install the libraries in the following order:

FreeType
LibPng
FontConfig
Cairo

If this still doesn't work, please send us the content of your config.log

Regards,

- David