[cairo] RFC: duplicating, storing and serializing drawing operations

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 11:25:45 PST 2006

2006/12/26, Nicolas George <nicolas.george at ens.fr>:
[discussion on threading vs separate process]
> Mostly, I would rather use a separate process.

Given the choice, I would take that over threads every time :)

Threads are evil, even moreso if used when not neccessary.

> >                          I was simply pointing out that making cairo
> > do the locking would be more beneficial than that.
>
> Cairo itself does little locking. Look at _cairo_gstate_stroke for example:
> there is room for a race condition between _cairo_surface_set_clip and
> _cairo_surface_stroke; obviously, stroking to the same surface from
> different threads is not supported.

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that cairo is not really threadsafe at the
moment. There was a thread about making it so recently. That's why I
talked about "making cairo threadsafe" instead of saying it is already
;)

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi