[cairo] Making cairo_meta_surface public

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 1 12:45:51 PST 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 11:15:23 -0500, Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
> For a variety of reasons, it would be useful to render (say, an SVG)
> to an intermediate surface and then replay that intermediate surface
> onto target surfaces repeatedly rather than rendering directly onto
> the target surfaces. This is analogous to Win32's
> Create[Enh]MetaFile() and Play[Enh]MetaFile() commands. Cairo has the
> desired functionality built in, but it is currently private. I was
> wondering how people feel about making the interface public. All that
> I'd currently need are cairo_meta_surface_create() and
> cairo_meta_surface_replay ().

When we first envisioned the meta-surface stuff we anticipated both
internal and external uses for it. I definitely want to get the
internal stuff working solidly and stressing the implementation
semantics of the meta-surface before we consider exporting this.

So I think this is at least a post-1.2.0 discussion item.

One of the interesting opportunities for "external" meta-surfaces is
the ability to use cairo to draw to a surface, and use that to create
a pattern uses as a source with some transformation. The benefit here
would be that the replayed meta-surface source would provide nice
pre-rasterization scaling of all paths, etc.