[cairo] A small GUI toolkit based on Cairo

lupinsky at uiuc.edu lupinsky at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 1 13:37:20 PST 2006

I've been working on an application leveraging wxWidgets and
cairo (among other libraries). I am hoping to write a basic
minimal toolkit that would allow me to have animated
transitions and more importantly smooth graphics.
After reading Timothée Lecomte's thread about the "best
strategy" for drawing using wxWidgets and cairo I have
decided to have a one big back-buffer that would be
recreated whenever the main window is resized.

I would like to have several different element types (or
controls) that are rendered onto the back-buffer. Assuming I
have an element of type "edit control" placed at a certain
position, is there any way I could provide a smaller part of
the larger surface without copying back and forth? I would
like to have only one back-buffer for the "root" window.

Specifically, I intend on having an "Element::OnRender"
virtual method that a programmer would have to implement and
I would like to provide (as a parameter) a context that only
encapsulates the part of the surface that belongs to the
particular control. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Idan