[cairo] cvs account for Jonathan Jongsma

Mathieu Lacage Mathieu.Lacage at sophia.inria.fr
Tue Feb 7 01:30:09 PST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 01:19 -0800, Vladimir Vukicevic wrote:
> On 2/6/06, Jonathon Jongsma <jonathon.jongsma at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/6/06, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> > > PS. I'm quite certain I'll be moving cairo to a distributed version
> > > control system quite soon (and git in particular). Not least among the
> > > benefits will be that account creation will no longer be an impediment
> > > to people participating in development in a full-fledged manner.
> > >
> > > The switch will affect the 'cairo' module in particular---whether
> > > other modules like cairomm decide to switch will be a decision in the
> > > hands of the relevant maintainer.
> > >

> > I'm glad to hear you're thinking about moving away from CVS (and I'd
> > support this for cairomm as well).  I'm curious to hear why you're
> > leaning toward git as opposed to, say, bzr or mercurial.  I can't say
> > I have a lot of in-depth experience with all of the options, but it I
> > remember thinking that git had a bit higher learning curve than some
> > of the others the last time I looked into it.
>
> I'm guessing that the decision is mostly done, but I would suggest
> taking a look at monotone -- seems to be a much lower learning curve
> than git, though it does have the disadvantage that it needs to be run
> in server mode to share datasets, as opposed to just throwing stuff up
> onto a web server.  I've been using it for mozilla development for a
> while now (just my own private repo; sadly, we can't yet switch away
> from CVS in the near-term for the entire project).

Mercurial has been very easy to learn and use for me. Much easier than
monotone (it felt much much faster too) and it has a very nice web-based
export/browsing interface. tailor was able to successfully migrate my
darcs/monotone/cvs history to mercurial.  Also, mercurial has a working
win32 port.

The only thing which I really miss in mercurial is the fact that it is
pretty hard to split a repository in two independent repositories. i.e.:
you have to export the repo as a bunch of patches, split each patch and
re-import each split patch into the new repositories. It can be
automated but it is not the sort of thing you want to do often.

regards,
Mathieu