[cairo] Confusion over git-fetch refs

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Feb 16 20:59:19 PST 2006

Ok, what I want to be able to do is watch cworth hack cairo. Seems
pretty simple to me. This means I want to mirror his whole personal
repository; preferably right into my repository.

So, what I want is:

$ git-fetch-pack git://git.cairographics.org/~cworth/cairo

as that is documented to mirror the whole remote repository if no refs
are provided on the command line.

But, of course, I'd like to rename any of his private branches and tags
so they stand out (and don't conflict with mine), so something which
does

$ git-ls-remote --tags --heads git://git.cairographics.org/git/cairo

and compares that with the tags and heads in Carl's tree with an eye to
remapping those unique to Carl's tree might be handy; one is especially
interested in ensuring that 'master' and 'origin' are managed correctly.

Is there some other way to watch Carl's tree without just cloning it
from time to time?
keith.packard at intel.com