[cairo] Maintaining cairo with git (a note on git-mv)

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 17 11:22:24 PST 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:54:00 -0800, Carl Worth wrote:
> 	# edit some stuff
> 	git add new-file
> 	git status -a
> 	git diff HEAD
> 	git commit -a
>
> Notice that there is no equivalent to "cvs rm" here. When you use
> "git commit -a" file removals get picked up automatically.

What I failed to mention is that if you are not using "commit -a" then
you will find the git-mv command to be convenient for the case of
renaming a file and also updating git's index.

I still don't see any convenience in git for removing a file and
noting that in the index. Obviously, it's possible to do it, but the
commands are a bit cumbersome:

	rm some-file
	git update-index --remove some-file