[cairo] python bindings documentaion?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Feb 21 16:34:33 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:25:58 +0800, Steve Chaplin wrote:

> - I had a look at some documentation packages: I don't think pydoc is
> any use for C extensions. I looked at epydoc, docutils and Doxygen but
> didn't come to any conclusions.

Just to throw something else into the mix. I recently took a closer
look at asciidoc. See:

	http://www.methods.co.nz/asciidoc/

It can generate HTML, man pages, DocBook, (and obviously, any DocBook
targets). It has a "wiki-like" syntax in that the source text document
for the documentation is quite readable directly.

The only drawback I've found in the short bit I've played with it,
(the git documentation uses it), is that the document generation is
quite slow, (and I do mean *really* slow).

I do find the source format and the number of output formats quite
appealing though. I think I might try writing a cairo tutorial in it
to really try it out. (Notice that the asciidoc web pages are
generated in asciidoc and you can get a feel for what it can do).

I'm not entirely sure it would make sense to switch cairo's API
documentation system, but I'm open to options.

> What methods do other python packages (which are written as C
> extensions) use?

That seems like a good question, (though I don't have anything in the
way of answers there).