[cairo] python bindings documentaion?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 22 07:04:29 PST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 19:35:14 +0800, Steve Chaplin wrote:

> I had a look at asciidoc, it does produce very nice looking HTML.

Indeed.

> A cairo tutorial in asciidoc format would be very useful for all cairo
> bindings - they could take the text file and edit it to convert C into
> the binding language.

Should be easier than that. Asciidoc has good include mechanisms and
apparently quite simple extensibility.

What I've always wanted is a way to do something like the snippets
environment for writing tutorials. I'd like to write something along
the lines of:

	The following example demonstrates how to stroke and fill a
	single path:

	[example:stroke-and-fill]

and have this include the contents of a file named stroke-and-fill.c
as well as an image showing the results of compiling and running that
code.

Once we get to that point, I'd hope that "porting" the tutorial to
another language would require very little effort other than porting
the little code sample snippets.

> Writing cairo's API in asciidoc format would be useful in the same way,
> and would avoid the need to cut and paste from the cairo *.c files.

Yeah. Let's start with some tutorial stuff and see how it works before
we dive into changing the tool used for the API documentation.